The Higher Certificate in Early Childhood Development is a SAQA-registered level 5 qualification (SAQA ID: 23117) in early childhood development that is accredited by the ETDP SETA. This 18-month (12 months part-time, with an additional six months for the professional placement component), 120-credit qualification is designed to equip graduates to work as teacher assistants in a Montessori pre-school. This is also an ideal qualification for those persons already working as assistants in Montessori environments who do not yet hold a qualification. Graduates may register with SACE (the South African Council for Educators) as early childhood development practitioners.
This course is NOT designed for prospective Montessori lead teachers. Persons wishing to work as a qualified lead teacher in the Montessori preschool should consider one of our Diploma options instead.
The following modules are covered in this course:
* Orientation and Montessori Biography
* Study Skills
* Montessori Philosophy
* Child Development
* Childcare and Health
* Reflective Practice
* Activities of Everyday Living
* Education of the Senses
* Numeracy and Arithmetic
* Knowledge and Understanding of the World
Part-Time Lectures and Attendance
The part-time lecture timetable begins in February 2018 and runs until December 2018. Please note that all lectures are compulsory as these hours form part of the final qualification requirements.
As part of the course requirements, students will be required to undertake and pass a practical and oral examination that will take place in December 2018.
This qualification includes a compulsory professional placement in a Montessori setting of at least 150 hours (6 consecutive weeks) to be undertaken between February and June 2019.
This placement forms a central point of practical integration for the knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes developed over the course of the training. Students will be observed by a Placement Mentor from the setting as well as a Placement Tutor allocated by Montessori Centre South Africa.
MCSA assists with the placement of students for this part of the course requirements. Placements must be made within an 80km radius of the centre. Should external placements be required, these will be charged to the students.
Applicants for the Higher Certificate course must
- Be aged 18 years or over.
- Hold a Matric Certificate with a minimum of a Higher Certificate pass.
- Be a South African citizen or permanent resident (or hold a full and relevant visa for the duration of the course).
- If possible, attend an Information Session at one of our centres.
- Complete the application form and return it with supporting documents to email@example.com with the non-refundable application fee of R500.
- An appointment will be made for an interview at the centre where you will also be required to write a short language and numeracy entrance assessment.
- Successful applicants will then receive an offer of study upon which the enrolment documents will need to be submitted with the payment of the enrolment Fee in order to secure a place.
|Higher Certificate Course||Enrolment fee||R5 000||On acceptance|
|Course and lecture fee||R19 250|
payable over 10 months
|In installments of R1925.00|
payable by the 5th day of each month
commencing February 2018 to November 2018.
|Examination fee||R2 000||Payable on 05 November 2018|
|Professional Placement fee||R4 000||Payable on 05 February 2019|
|Total Cost: R30 250|