Lockdown Day 72 – In the Kitchen – Rusks
In the Kitchen
There is a definite chill in the air in the ever-darkening mornings. Winter is on its way! Time for wooly blankets, hot chocolate (tea/coffee) and some good old South African rusks!
* LU’S BREAKFAST RUSKS *
This is a great activity for children that allows them to use so many different skills – fine and gross motor skills, maths skills, language skills and spatial skills!
Make these rusks this afternoon, so that you have them ready for breakfast tomorrow.
- 375gr butter or margarine
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 500ml buttermilk
- 1kg self-raising flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 5 cups breakfast cereal (anything you like – all bran, cornflakes, etc)
- 1 TBSP salt
- As always, begin by collecting all the utensils required.
- Next, invite the child to measure out all the required ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Wash hands.
- Grease a baking tray.
- Wash hands again!
- Put the butter and sugar into a microwaveable bowl (or in a pot) and bring them to melting.
- Beat the buttermilk and eggs in a large bowl.
- Carefully pour in the butter and sugar mix and stir well to combine.
- Add all the dry ingredients.
- Wash hands again and dig in!!! Guide the child to use her/his hands to thorough mix the ingredients.
- Show the child how to pinch off a tablespoon sized ball of dough, roll it into a ball and start packing this into the baking tray. The balls need to be packed right next to each other in rows.
- Once all the dough has been rolled and packed into the baking tray, wash hands again.
- Bake the rusks at 180C for 45 – 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 70C.
- Carefully use a butter (or blunt) knife to separate the rusks from each other and place them on a baking sheet (loosely).
- Put the baking sheet back into the oven and let the rusks dry in the oven at 70C overnight.
- Try to limit yourselves to one rusk per day!
Remember to complete the cycle of activity by involving the child in cleaning up.
Find all of our lockdown tips here – https://www.montessorisa.co.za/blog/